Tuesday 24 February 2009

More stone shifting - and a little bit of parental pride!

It's been a very busy couple of weeks - hence the large gaps between posts.
I just want to share a bit of parental pride before I do the gardening bit - so please indulge me for a few paragraphs!
My younger daughter, Last-Born, has recently taken part in a school production of High School Musical. She had the lead role of Gabriella Montez - and was FANTASTIC! And it's not just me that thinks so in my doting-motherly way, the local press thought so too!
I've included the article from the paper - I hope you can read it okay! Apparently if you click on it, it will enlarge so that you can read it properly, or so Last-Born tells me!
I am SO proud of her! I did do some acting way back in my youth, but I don't do singing as I have the musical abilities of a dead slug! It obviously skipped a generation and went straight from my dad to Last-Born. (and First-Born. She is equally musical and plays a variety of instruments). I am so in awe of Last-Born's singing skills as I have to settle for enthusiasm rather than accuracey!
Suprisingly enough, Last-Born wants to be in (star in!) a West End production when she's a bit older. She certainly has the ability.....!

Right, back to reality - and the Japanese Garden! It took several attempts and a variety of different stones before I found the 'right' stones for the island. The first big stone we put in place looked right when it was lying down on the yard, but when we stood it vertically in the hole on the island it was just so wrong that it was obviously meant to be a horizontal stone ...... so it had to come out. Himself was not overly impressed with me at that point!
Once we found the right stone and started to get the other 4 in place as well, Himself did begin to understand what I meant about some stones being vertical and some being horizontal - having initially thought that I'd completely lost my marbles ( or should that be pebbles?)!!!
Here are the island stones finally in place - much to the relief of Himself!
You can also see the centre stone for the Tai Chi circle just resting roughly in place and the soil now mounded up around the circle. When it's finished, the centre stone will sit in the circle level with the tops of the bricks - but I wanted to see what it would look like!
The Tai Chi circle from the north (top) side, with the island stones, the dug out stream bed coming down the far side of the island to go under the bridge to the bottom pond and the gravel/ hardcore motorway, sorry - path, waiting for its top layer of sand. Ignore the sticks - I obviously hadn't cleared up properly!
Ceefer cat was inspecting the bamboo - again!

9 comments:

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Am I right in saying you are ever so slightly proud???

More proper hardscaping stories, you can't be accused of being fearful to 'av a go!

cheers

Ruth said...

Please tell Laura I read her review, and to frame it! The show was spectacular, and she was the best :)
(sisterly pride)
x x x

Philip Bewley said...

Congratulations to last Born! That is just wonderful! I wish I could sing!
I love the Tai chi circle...that is just awesome.
Best regards,
Philip

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

How exciting for you and your daughter! It sure makes you proud to see your child do well doesn't it?
Even more so when other people acknowledge them as well.
I like how your island is looking! Great job!

flydragon said...

Congrats to last born for the great review. I don't blame you for being proud!!
Lol, you have the musical abilities of a "dead slug". Love that:))

Love the looks of your Tai Chi circle. What energy and ambition you have!! Could you send some of it my way??

Laura Marie said...

Aww....thanks mum :) ... Mr Miller read the review out in assembely today so....

Thanks for the...mention? ... teehee... love yooooo :)

<3

nilla|utanpunkt said...

Your allowed to be proud, and seem to be needing a little rest from all the boulder battles. I'm really looking forward to seeing the tai chi circle when it's finished, so keep up the good work!

Nutty Gnome said...

Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments about Last-Born and for allowing me to indulge my pride and joy at her achievements! I am SO fortunate to have two wonderful, talented duaghters who bring me undescribable happiness!
Enough of the soppy stuff though ....I'm glad you like the Tai Chi circle. I can't wait until it's finished and I can actually use it!
Flydragon - energy? You should see me on a Monday!!!

Wicked Gardener said...

Wow - your gardens are going to be great!